Recipes of Mediterranean diet:
There are six easy recipes of maditerranean diet that help you to stay fit and healthy
1. Mediterranean Parsley Salad
- 4 pounds, small new or fingerings potatoes
- 3 large red bell peppers (roasted with the core removed)
- ¾ cup of minced onions (red onions)
- 1 pound of fresh, trimmed and cut green beans
- 1 cup minced olive
- 1 handful of fresh parsley leaves
- 1 handful (large) of baby arugula if available
- Salted water for cooking the potatoes (use 1 ½ teaspoon for
every quart of water)
1 teaspoon of dried herbs if available
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water
(the water should be above the potatoes).
- Add salt.
- Simmer on high heat then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are easy to pierce.
- Place the potatoes on a pan to cool.
- Boil another pot of water.
- Add the green beans and cook for five minutes
- Once you are sure that they are cooked, drain and place in ice-cold water
- Make the vinaigrette while the potatoes and green beans
- In a bowl, whisk the vinegar, salt, olive oil and the mustard.
- If the potatoes have cooked,
- Cut them into bite-sized pieces and place them in a large bowl.
- Add the green beans, red onion, olives and strips of roasted peppers
- then let this marinate until it is ready to serve.
When you are ready to serve, toss with the parsley and arugula.
2. Chickpea Noodles
- Extra virgin olive oil according to need.
- 1 large onion finely chopped.
- 1 cup boiled noodles.
- 1 cup Chickpea rinsed and drained.
- 4 cup cut vegetables according to need.
- 1 tbs cinnamon.
- Ground black pepper according to need
- 2 cup whole grain wheat
Directions to cook
- Preheat a pot add extra virgin oil and onion, cook for 5 mins.
- Add noodles cook for 3-4 min adjusting the heat.
- Add chickpea, vegetables broth, salt pepper and all the necessary spices according to taste.
- Cook for 5 mins more
- Add wheat and cook for 2 mins.
- Remove from heat cover and let it sit for 5 mins.
- Uncover fluff wheat with a fork
- Serve warm and enjoy.
Dietary fiber- 6gm
3. Green Bean Salad
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- ½ cup basil leaves (chopped)
- ½ a cup of green beans
- ½ a cup of uncooked quinoa
- ½ a cup of tomatoes
- ½ a cup of corn
- Tuna, shrimp or white beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing you shall need:
- ½ a teaspoon of honey or agave
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoonful of fresh oregano leaves (if available)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar(if available)
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (organic)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre heat your oven to 400 degrees and roast the potatoes in
- Drizzle with the olive oil and toss with the garlic, salt and pepper
- Cook for about 25-30 minutes. Whisk all the
dressing ingredients together and set the mixture aside
- Boil some water and pour the chopped green beans and boil for a minute.
- When done, transfer to some ice-cold water for cooling.
- Boil the quinoa in salted water for about 6-8 minutes or until they are soft In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Toss with the dressing then add salt and pepper to taste then serve.
4. Mediterranean Grilled Sandwich
- 1 large Eggplant
- Salt according to need
- 1 medium sized cauliflower.
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 large potatoes
- Vegetable oil
- Spices according to need
- 3 pitas or bread
- 6 table spoon yogurt spread.
- Parsley or any leafy vegetable.
Directions to prepare
It doesn’t take much time prepare and you can have 3 servings of this sandwich in a day.
- Slice eggplant into slices
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and mix and keep for 30 mins.
- Cut cauliflower and potatoes.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pot to 365 F
- Fry eggplant slices for 3 mins remove and sprinkle with spices.
- Then fry cauliflowers for 6 minutes remove and sprinkle with spices.
- The fry the potatoes for 9 minutes adjusting the temperature accordingly the need.
- The bring 1 piece of pita, spread with2 tablespoon yoghurt spread and add few pieces of egg plant cauliflower and potatoes in the middle
- Roll pita into sandwich cut into half and enjoy
5. Nutritional information of this sandwich
Fat- 28 gm
Saturated fat – 20 gm
6. Shrimp Rice
When srimp is prepared with vegetables and brown rice it makes a healthy combination
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
3 TB. extra-virgin olive oil
1 TB. Chopped garlic
1 cup green peas
2 medium carrots( shredded)
4 cups water
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 cups brown rice
Medium raw shrimp (18 to 20,shells removed)
Direction to cook
- In a large, 3-quart pot over medium heat, heat extra-virgin olive oil. Add yellow onion, and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add garlic, green peas, and carrots, and cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add water, salt, saffron, turmeric, and black pepper; bring to a boil; and cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Add brown rice, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes.
5. Gently fold shrimp into rice, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
6. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, cover, and set aside for 10 minutes. Serve warm.