High Protein diets are some organic compounds of natural origin and great importance in the human body. Nowadays, lifestyle demands everything to be simple fast and easy.
It mostly includes high protein amount which provides a noticeable difference in muscle mass, energy level, and lack of hunger.
High protein diet can also help diabetes, lowers blood pressure, weight loss and many more.
Institute of Medicine recommends atleast 0.8 gm of protein for every kilogram of weight(i.e 0.36 gm of protein per pound of body weight).
Recommended dietary allowance of protein for both men and women, about the age of 19, is 56gm and 46gm respectively.
- Some of the importance of protein in the body
- Some of the high protein food to eat are-
- Some Recipes of high protein diet are:
- Protein Drinks
- Coffee Smoothie-
Some of the importance of protein in the body
Protein are made up of amino acids that joins together by peptide bond to form complex, long, branched , unbranched structures or chains. There are mainly 20 amino acids that helps the formation of large number of structures in the body.
1.Basic structural component-
Protein is one of the basic structural component of the body . Every cell of the body contains proteins such as glyco-proteins for membrane, in cytoplasm, act as precursors of nucleus, helps to repair damaged cells, help formation of new cells and many more.
2. Biochemical structures –
Substances involved in various reactions going on n the body contains proteins. Such as enzymes, hormones and many more. Without these enzymes breakdown of substances such as fats, lipids, carbohydrates will be impossible. Some protein hormones are-
Gastrin– Present in stomach helps in digestion.
Growth hormone- This stimulate growth, cell reproduction, and regeneration in the body.
Insulin– It Regulates chemical reactions involved with carbohydrate, fats and promotes absorbtion of these substances after their breakdown, in the body .
Oxytocin– This Acts in social relationship, child birth, sexual relationship , breast feeding etc.
Vasopressin- It has impact on maintaining blood pressure and many more.
There are several other peptide hormones that has important function to play in the body.
All of us knows about Albumin and mainly Heamoglobin, the component due to which the color of blood is Red, also helps in transportation of various substances from one organ to another such as carries O2 from lungs to other organs and CO2 from other organs back to lungs.
4.Structures of body-
Substances such as Actin, Tubulin, Keratin, Myosin and etc are all proteins. They are involved in formation of various structures of the body such as Cytoskeleton. Even muscles are made up of Actin and Myosin which are kind of proteins.
5.Defense system of the body-
Various immunoglobulins that protect body from pathogens are also made of proteins.
And many more, protein has many such uses in the human body which is why it is considered while making any kind of diet.
To know about keto diet for fast weight loss click here
Some of the high protein food to eat are-
Measurement of protein quality are done on the basis of availability of essential amino acid and digestibility. So here are some high quality protein food that should be included in diet.
Beans contains high amount of protein.
- 100 gm of Soybeans contains 36gm of protein
- 100gm of Winged beans contains 30 gm of protein
- 100 gm of kidney beans and Mung beans contains 24gm of protein
- 100gms of pinto beans contain 21gm of proteins.
As from the above we can see that beans has to be a must include ingredient in high protein diet. Besides being helpful in weight loss beans have many other health benefits.
Such as more intake of beans per week reduces chronic disorder risk, beans digests slowly keeping fullness feeling for long time. Beans are low in sugar which prevents insulin spike in the blood stream there are many such other health benefits of beans.
Quinoa is considered a whole grain food. Quinoa is a complete protein source, which means it provides all the 9 essential amino acids. It has high amount of Lysine, Methionine , and Histidine. Quinoa provides 16% protein , which is much higher than cereals grains such as barley, rice, corn, etc.
- Two flavonoids Quercetin and kaempferol are found in high amount in quinoa.
- Quinoa has a glycemic index is 53 which is considerably low which means it is very good to maintain low blood sugar.
Lentils are found to be made of over 25% protein which gives them the nutritional value of equal to meat. One cup of cooked lentils generally provides approximately 17.9gms of protein.
Different types of lentils are-
- Brown Lentil
- Green Lentil
- Yellow and Red Lentils
- Beluga(Tiny back lentils)
To know about ways to loose weight without diet click here
4.Nut and seeds:
We know that nuts and seeds are really beneficial for the body like almond which we know is very helps boost memory power and lowers cholesterol and many more. And in addition to this they are also a good source of protein. Some of the most high protein nuts and seeds are-
- Flaxseeds :- Contains 18gm of protein per 100gm of flax seed.
- Peanuts:- Contains 25 gm of protein per 100gm of Peanuts.
- Chai seeds:- Contains 16gm of protein per 100gm of Chai seeds
- Almonds :- Contains 21gm of protein per 100gm of Almond
- Hemp seeds:- Contains 31gm of proteins per 100gm of Hemp seeds.
- Walnuts:– Contains 15gm of protein per 100gm of walnuts.
- Pumpkin seeds:- Contains 30gm of protein per 100gm of pumpkin seeds.
Whole grains includes grains like rice wheat,corn, quinoa,barley,rye etc.Whole grain contains valuable antioxidants and nutrients found in vegetables and fruits. Whole grains are good source of fibre, fats and also Proteins. 100gm of whole grain made substances contains 15gm of proteins.
6.Dairy (Milk,Egg, etc):-
Dairy substances such as Milk, Egg, Cheese, yogurt and many more . These are substances that are considered in high protein diet because these has two types of protein and both are high-quality proteins which are, Whey protein and Casein protein. Usually Casein protein is found in more quantity in diary products than Whay proteins.
- 100 ml of Cottage Cheese contains 12gm of protein.
- 50gm of Cheddar cheese contains 12gm of protein.
- 200 ml of milk contains 7gm of protein.
- 150ml of Yogurt contains 7gm of protein
Thus many other high protein diary products are there.
To know about easy recipes of keto diet click here
Some Recipes of high protein diet are:
It is basically a breakfast recipe.
- 2 White eggs or 1 organic egg
- 3-4 Chopped Mushrooms
- Salt according to taste.
- ½ cup Baby spinach
- 1 oz Feta crumbled Cheese.
- Olive oil
- Pepper or other spices according to need.
Direction to cook
- Mix the eggs well (with spices if added) until combined properly.
- Whisk olive oil in a frying pan
- Fry te mushrooms slightly until soft.
- Add baby spinach and cook till wilted
- Pour the egg mixture and sprinkle salt and cheese.
- Serve and Enjoy
- Fat: 11.3gm
- Protein: 21.7gm
- Carbs: 3.8 gm
- Fiber: 0.8 gm
Quinoa is vero good for health and tasty when prepared correctly.
- 6 tablespoon of protein powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup soy milk
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup cooked dry quinoa
Directions to cook
- Blend all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Whisk the frying pan with Olive oil and heat at medium temperature.
- Spoon 1/8 of the mixture and cook until there are bubbles in the middle of the pancake.
- Continue the previous step
- Serve with fruits once made and enjoy without regret.
- Fat- 1.5gm
- Protein-8.6 gm
- Carbs – 14.4gm
- Fiber- 2 gm
Black Bean Salad
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 teaspoons fresh lime
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 cups sliced tomatoes.
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
Direction to prepare
- Cook the quinoa first and keep aside to cool.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingreadients properly.
- Add the quinoa into it.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper
Spinach and Pine nuts curry
- 1 bag Spinach
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground back pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons Pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
Directions to cook:-
Place olive oil, garlic, and water in a pan on medium heat. Then add spinach add salt and black pepper according to need then add water. Adjust heat add pine nuts cook for about 1 -2 mins. Add red pepper flakes if desired then again cook 1-2 mins.Then Serve and enjoy.
These are the drinks one can have as an alternative to regular protein shake.These are quick and easy to prepare.
Soy milk shake
- 1 cup Strawberry or any kind of Berry.
- 1 Banana
- 2 tablespoon ground flax seed.
- 2 cups low fat soy milk.
Simply place all the above ingredients into the blender and blend well until smooth. Pour in the glass and enjoy.
Nutritional information –
- 1 small banana
- 1 and ¾ cup non-fat milk.
- ½ serving hot cocoa
- 2 gm coffee powder
- 5 gound almonds
Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour in a glass and enjoy.
- Fat : 3.9g
- Protein : 10.2gm
- Carbs: 36.7gm
- Fiber: 3.7gm