What is Insomnia?
It is the sustained impairment in the ability to initiate or maintain sleep. Its condition of sleeplessness can generate considerable anxiety and interfere in the quality of life. Of the most commonly reported health-related problems insomnia is rated as the most frequently reported complaint. insomnia is diagnosed across all age groups but is usually common among middle-aged group people.
Presence of insomnia can eventually lead to the development of anxiety disorders in some of the insomnia sufferers.
This article give you tips for managing insomnia and you will get a better sleep.
How do we know that we are suffering from insomnia?
To understand that whether we are suffering from insomnia or it is just stress that will last few days and will be ok by its own with time. The criteria of diagnosis of insomnia is-
Difficulties in maintainance of sleep or non-restorative sleep or difficulty in onset of sleep. And this problem lasts for atleast 1 month. There is no such cutoffs for how disrupted the sleep must be . the convention often found is that the time spentawake at the beginning of the sleep period or in he middle of the night is greater than 30 mins and this problem in onset and maintainance in sleep should occur three or more nights per week.
What are the symptoms of insomnia ?
Some of the major symptoms of insomnia listed in the research diagnostic criteria for insomnia are-
- Negative mood throughout the entire day.
- Social and vocational dysfunction or poor school performance in case of students.
- Somatic symptoms such as tension, headaches, anxiety.
- Daytime dizzyness.
- Worry about sleep.
While some clinicians donot consider the above mentioned as symptoms of insomnia ; in actuality insomnia is best characterised as a disoredr with manifesta tions throughout the 24 hr period.
For instance insomnia cannot occur exclusively during another sleep disorders such as narcolepsy, breathing related sleep disorders ,cardiac rhythm disorders or para insomnia or another mental disorders such as major depression , anxiety disorder. Lastly it cannot be due to psychological effects of a substance such as any type of medication or drug abuse.
To know more about the benefits of sleep check Sleep: Benefits of sleep in the body
What are the different types of insomnia?
There are different varities of wake fulness which includes various type of cerebral disturbances which constitute insanity, cerebral exhaustion , chronic alcoholism and different forms of meningitis.
Some of the types of insomnia are-
- Insomnia in acute affections of the brain- this may result from general diseases like rheumatism, the eruptive fevers, tubercular infiltration, insolation , development of tumors, or syphilitic growths.
- Insomnia in insanity– Continuous insomnia is often one of the premonitory symptoms of insanity. It can be due to excited state of the brain or by an exhausted and irritable condition of the cerebral substances.
- Insomnia in chronic alcoholism– This is usually due to the habitual consumption of alcohol that causes morbid changes in the digestive apparatus and in the nervous system.
- Insomnia in disease of heart and blood vessels- This is due to problems such as cardiac dyspnoea, angina pectoris, simple cardiac neuralgia etc. In such cases doctors often recommend exhibition of alcoholic stimulants, hydrate of choral, or nitrite of amyl, etc.
- Insomnia in respiratory diseases- This includes problems such as Pneumonia and bronchitis are accompanied by wakefulness. Mostly in their earlier stages due to harassing cough.
Likewise there are many such other types of insomnia
To know more about types of insomnia click here .
What are the tips of managing insomnia and get a better sleep?
Some of the means to prevent insomnia are –
1.Taking hot bath- When heat is applied in the form of hot bath it is considered an important means of tranquilizing the brain . The water should have a agreeable temperature and the bath should not last longer than ten minutes.
2. Food- In most of the insomnia cases the problem lies in food intake. One of the major cause of insomnia can be weakness of the nervous tissues.
Exhausted by work or deliberated by the loss of blood or half starved during long course of illness like typhoid fever, a condition of weakness may establishes which if not taken care of properly may lead to other greater problems. And the most important remedy of such problems lies in food, which must be soluble, stimulant, nutritive and diffusible. Such as Milk, alcohol, eggs and meat juices. But excess of everything is harmful so slight food moderation can help a lot.
3. Regular exercises- No need of extreme workout sessions moderate exercises such as swimming or jogging can help insomnia a lot . So exercise are really necessary.
4. Write down the worries- Worrying about the task of the next day is mainly responsible for insomnia. In such cases it is better to write down the tasks and place it near your bed so that , even if your sleep disrupts in midnight you can assure yourself that it is written down.
5. Do not smoke– Nicotine is a stimulant. It is important to not smoke especially at night. Control in smoking can help to prevent insomnia.